Wicked Nutritious / Carnivore Delicious
RAWsome Meals are modeled on how indigenous peoples of North America originally fed their dogs, dogs that ran with the hunters for 18-20+ years. Let's compare RAWsome Meals with two top-rated commercial brands:
- The Farmer’s Dog food recipes are highly rated. Like ours, they are sold only online and delivered directly to you. Their meals contain “at least" 50% muscle and organs. But what percentage of that 50% are secreting organs, and what percentage is muscle? They won't say. Up to 50% of their recipes are vegetables, but dogs have no nutritional requirement for carbohydrates. In addition, The Farmer's Dog "lightly cook" their meals, which reduces the amount of water-soluble and fat-soluble vitamins and essential minerals, like potassium, magnesium, sodium, and calcium.
- Darwin's dog food is " 75% real meat and 25% fresh vegetables with a small amount of nutrient mix containing important trace minerals from natural sources". It's nice that they use "real meat". But, are they ashamed to tell us which meats they use. On the other hand, they do admit that their meals are 25% (nonessential) vegetables. And perhaps that’s why they supplement their meals with a mystery "nutrient mix"!
RAWsome Meals are human grade, USDA approved; ungulate muscle (71%), ungulate heart (10%), 3 secreting ungulate organs (10% combined), powdered ungulate marrow-bone (9%), totaling 100% pasture-fed ungulate parts. If you need to add hot water or sauté our meals to suit your pet's preference, that's your option. But we sell raw meals with all the vitamins and minerals intact. While 25% to 50% of the ingredients of the other two brands are nutritionally nonessential, our philosophy is, “Every ingredient you pay for should have essential nutritional value!”
A key detail I learned while developing our meals is that most dogs will eat almost anything to stave off hunger or please their owners, which is why most owners believe that what a dog will eat is what a dog should eat. But, species-inappropriate meals = species-inadequate nutrition. And, dogs fed species-inappropriate processed, carb-laden or plant-based meals can appear healthy for years before showing signs of malnutrition, which strike as degenerative diseases. True science tells us that our canine pets are facultative carnivores, meaning that to maintain optimal health and wellness they require the 3 key elements of whole prey; muscle, secreting organs and marrow bone, in the right proportions:
- Muscle supplies protein and healthy fat for energy
- Heart is rich in essential amino acids, potassium, phosphorus, iron, zinc and B-vitamins
- Secreting organs supply essential minerals and fatty acids
- Bone provides calcium to maintain bone strength
- Marrow is rich in collagen, glucosamine and iron for joint health
Though our pets' wolf cousins feed on beavers, hares or turkeys when big game are scarce, their prey of choice are hoofed-mammals called ungulates; i.e., sheep, elk and bison. It's believed that wild canines prey on ungulates instinctually because their muscle tissue contains energy-storage molecules and chemical messengers, called lipids, that appear to treat and prevent chronic disease. A fact now mostly forgotten is that the original canned and #1 dog food in America (Ken-L Ration) was primarily horse meat.
After more than four and a half years of feedings, RAWsome Meals have proven to be species-appropriate food for dogs and cats. But because our products are human-grade we are not allowed to include the digestive bacteria and microorganisms found in whole prey that create the fermentation needed to convert protein into amino acids, and which combine with a carnivore’s digestive enzymes to maintain a "healthy gut". Adding one or more of the forms of fermentation below, to our meals, delivers a meal with the essential elements found in whole prey. See our Product Details page for more information.
- Basic probiotic: Add 1-2 Tbsp of raw apple cider vinegar with mother per lb. of RAWsome Meals.
- Probiotic w/fiber Add 1-2 Tbsps low-sodium fermented organic veggies per 1-lb. of RAWsome Meals.
- Whole prey w/digestive enzymes: Replace 1/8 ration (2 oz/lb.) w/whole prey per feeding of RAWsome Meals.
RAWsome Meals put more life in your pet, to give your pet more time in your life!*
*RAWsome Meals are not sold as correctives for genetic predispositions, biological disorders, disease, conditions related to lack of exercise, accidents, abuse or neglect.
No More Stinky Poo
No More Stinky Poo
There are multiple benefits to feeding your dog a nutrient-rich, species-appropriate diet. The first one you’ll likely notice is smaller, firm, virtually odorless stools, in part because more of each meal is converted into life-sustaining enzymes and energy.
RAWsome Meals are optimized for healthy dogs and may not be suitable for dogs on medication. For dietary advice specific to your pet, consult a nutrition-trained vet.
RAWsome Meals produced by H.F. Meats, Inc. for Carnivore Feast. Copyright 2020-2022 by Carnivore Feast